The client was a manufacturing company specialising in power transmission products such as chains, gears, and couplings. Customers ordering a transmission chain may require a chain of specific length, pitch, attachments, and various other configurations.
- An effective and reliable way of sharing information between sales teams and factories.
- Time reduction between customer quotation stage and product dispatch.
Previously this communication would take place through a legacy enquiry system which was disconnected from other systems, as well as numerous emails. This meant delays and sales order errors due to miscommunication.
- Our solution enabled the client to guarantee that standard attachment chains would be delivered within 72 hours of order confirmation. So customer satisfaction went up.
- Incidences of incorrect products being delivered were minimised, saving the client significant amounts of money in producing unrequired products.
- Sales representatives could use their time more effectively, as, with a more efficient process they can manage more customer accounts and orders.
The software solution process can be simplified in the steps below. All forms are electronic.
- The customer’s requirements are captured in a sales quotation by the sales team.
- A factory enquiry is raised from the quotation, containing all the technical details to help the factory come up with a cost and lead time to manufacture the product.
- The sales person completes the quotation and sends it to the customer.
- On customer order confirmation, the factory enquiry is updated to indicate that the order has been won and the manufacturing process can be started.
- If the product is a new product, an NPI (new product introduction) form is raised. This form goes to various teams such as design engineering, costing, and manufacturing.
- As the process continues, the forms are updated with the progress, keeping the sales team aware, and the teams able to communicate with each other about the specific order.
- Information is captured in a set of forms that are linked to each other, all relating to a single customer order or product. This makes the teams more organised and thus efficient.
- It provides a stable and reliable process that, if used consistently, improves the quality and consistency of the product or service delivered to the customer.
- Information is entered only once, without the need of duplications that leads to inefficiency and human error.
- The teams are able to communicate and share files via these forms, without the need of too many emails and attachments scattered in mail boxes. Teams can raise questions and clarifications about a specific job, while this information is kept in a central place. Moreover, the application sends out notifications to the relevant roles at specific stages of the process.
- The solution is able to capture the time taken from one step to another. This information is invaluable for process improvement, and for spotting bottlenecks. Management reports and KPIs can be created easily.
- It also provides teams with easy visibility of their tasks, outstanding jobs, and those that are overdue.
- It links with other business software such as CRMs, ERPs, finance, and reporting tools.